Gallery using a collection

• Hi guys,

SO it's been a long time since I did a Perch build and I'm trying to create a gallery using two collections. One for the gallery 'album' and one for the 'photos'. At the moment I have albums as a related item of photos. At first I thought this made sense but upon building it out, it seems janky - I mean the whole thing isn't ideal as managing such a gallery is going to be far from nice.

So I can make albums, assign a thumbnail etc. Then when I upload photos to the 'photos' collection, I can assign them to an album. The trouble I have is getting my head around setting this up correctly. I always get confused with related things in Perch and it's been a while...

I have my albums collection listing output via a simple template, but when it comes to the details page can I fetch the photos that are related to the albums, because the logic is kind of the opposite way - albums are related to photos. So I am not sure using this logic that I can pull the photos I want that are related to my album. Hopefully some code will help demonstrate my ramblings:

Updated code

This outputs:

It looks as if I am successfully getting the images back that belong to this album. From this data, how can I get these passed into my template for the album collection?

• Why have two collections?

Wouldn't it be better to have one collection called "Photo Albums" and within each album item, you'd have any number of images? I know this doesn't answer your question, but I'm curious as to how people are doing photos albums.

• Maybe I've missed something but I think you might be overcomplicating this a bit.

If you have a related field in your 'Album' collection you can use that related field in your template to fetch your 'Photo' collection items.

• Maybe I've missed something but I think you might be overcomplicating this a bit.

If you have a related field in your 'Album' collection you can use that related field in your template to fetch your 'Photo' collection items.

That would be nice, but sadly albums are related to a photo, so when you're adding a photo you can select an album it goes into, That's why I can't just use related tags. I've managed to get the data back into the album but displaying it within a template seems to be a problem. My OP shows the output I get from <perch:showall> but that's only there because I'm passing it back in. For some reason I'm having trouble outputting that into the template.

• Why have two collections?

Wouldn't it be better to have one collection called "Photo Albums" and within each album item, you'd have any number of images? I know this doesn't answer your question, but I'm curious as to how people are doing photos albums.

To be honest, I am starting to think this might be the better option now. Either way it isn't particularly nice to manage but I might be able to use a repeater in a single collection and make my life easier.

• I got this working with the information I was fetching and passing back in. I was very close initially. It ended up looking like:

I was then able to use photos to inject the data into my album-detail template. Though after working this out, I realised what a pain it is to manage due Perch's inability to allow to set a related field as a column header in the admin panel so there is no easy way to view what album the photo belongs to. I've since opted for a single Collection as JayW mentioned.