Perch Forms not delivering to Outlook 365

• Hi Folks,

A client of mine is not receiving any Perch Forms to their emails which is hosted on Outlook365.

These forms are working to my email and to any other Gmail, but not to this Outlook365 address. Their email hosting provider is saying there is no blacklists, etc in place.

I have the following email config setup:

Code
    1. define('PERCH_EMAIL_FROM', 'enquiries@topjocktackboxes.com');
    2. define('PERCH_EMAIL_FROM_NAME', 'Team TopJock');

I then decided to follow your email configuration page: https://docs.grabaperch.com/perch/configuration/email/

And have now entered in the following code

However if I try sending a test email with the above it fails and the debug gives me this error.

It's not a password issue, so can someone explain to me what the issue is here and why only Outlook365 is not receiving these Perch forms?

TIA

SQL
    1. SELECT u.*, r.* FROM perch2_users u, perch2_user_roles r WHERE u.roleID=r.roleID AND u.userEnabled=1 AND u.userID=1 AND u.userHash='a9205b639c7e85505370db1725da2980' LIMIT 1
    2. UPDATE perch2_users SET userHash='d94c391d6e4c84e2ff76d50526377ac9' WHERE userID='1'
    3. [79]SELECT p.privKey FROM perch2_user_privileges p
    4. [44]SELECT * FROM (SELECT DISTINCT settingID, settingValue, userID FROM perch2_settings WHERE userID=1 OR userID=0 ORDER BY userID DESC) AS settings GROUP BY settingID, settingValue, userID
    5. Using email template: /home/topjockt/public_html/perch/core/emails/settings-test.html (html)
    6. Building message with Dollar template
    7. SMTP connect() failed. https://github.com/PHPMailer/PHPMailer/wiki/Troubleshooting
  • Hi

Is their 365 account really called enquries@… or is that a catchall or alias? With Office365 the PERCH_EMAIL_FROM must match the account name in order to validate.

No this is a genuine email address. How come with the basic 2 lines of code it works perfectly for any domain other than this Outlook365?

• With the basic 2 lines of code Outlook365 thinks the email is spam, this is quite common when not using SMTP to send emails. This would be different for every email client though.

As with the SMTP issues, this is not an error with Perch but with the SMTP connection. In the debug you have SMTP connect() failed. https://github.com/PHPMailer/PHPMailer/wiki/Troubleshooting. This indicates that the SMTP server could not be authenticated, this is most likely down to incorrect configuration (incorrect server name, PORT, auth details e.t.c). It could be due to downtime on the SMTP server, but this is unlikely to be the case.

• Hi guys,

So although the update fixed this and we can now receive to this person's Outlook 365, there are still some Perch forms not finding their way through.

So some are working and some are not.

The client wants to know why and I'm trying to explain that this is a SPAM issue with Outlook if this is the case.

Is there anywhere in Perch Debug where I can prove this?

• Have you tried testing the forms through Mailtrap? That will prove form submissions are leaving the site / hosting server. After that it's normally an issue with the mailbox – especially if you are using an external email system to send responses through. They're probably sitting in a spam folder (knowing clients).

Another option is to use something like Postmark for all your transactional email handling. I haven't used it for Perch but it works brilliantly with Statamic. 10/10 from this old curmudgeon.