Posts by nascent

First let me say a big THANK YOU, to the Perch team for making the 3.1.6 update a reality.

This was a really nice thing to do and has allayed my personal concerns regarding future compatibility.

I think the answer is clear, first-party add-on's are "at risk" of being open sourced.

Now with what seems to be everyone saying they want to contribute, then do so and stop complaining because Perch is and always will be the truly great little CMS.

Perch V3 is solid.

The only problem is compatibility with PHP 7.4, which consequently is easy to get around by hiding a few lines of source.

I believe Drew is looking into 7.4 compatibility but my experience is, it can run rather slow on 7.4 and the UI is often sluggish but it still works well on the rendering side.

Personally, I would not discourage new people taking this up, the only real complaints are around compliance with regulations in relation to E-commerce, and I doubt the templating language will change much; if anything new programming possibilities will be added, with older methods not being deprecated any time soon so if you love templating (like me :) then i would say go for it because it is a wonderful system to use and you can always move code into the PHP side of things and generate markup that way.

Best,

There's been some talk of compat issues with PHP 7.4, so I'd want to track those down and see what can be patched.

Thank you Drew,

As to the Roadmap, I may have mentioned before, a company called Steinberg who make multimedia and audio software; recently changed how they develop their products, which was originally to the dismay of many users but on the whole I think most people accept that if they want new features quickly and bug fixes early, then there will inevitably be issues along the way however while many will choose to be on the bleeding edge, there will always be a stable version to draw on; even if not feature complete or else the previous version.

Cheers

This normally happens when one an old project dies or stops using Perch, so the owner of the license reassigns the license to a new domain for a new project instead of purchasing a new license.

I'm not aware of any CMS solution that charges a fee so if a project ends, why wouldn't a license owner want to re-purpose or re-sell their license?

Saying that, again I have nothing against charging ongoing fees, so long as they aren't exhorbitant.

How do you actually reuse a license anyway?

I was under the impression that when you specify a domain in your account, that unless the license matched your domain wouldn't work.

Personally, I never came to Perch thinking about other CMS solutions, I was simply attracted to the fact that I could balance a database with PHP and HTML client code.

I am confident in what Drew says but would appreciate compatibility with the lastest version(s) of PHP ASAP.

As for the Shop, I don't use it but understand others' concerns but am still prepared to pay yearly price if it's not in the 100's of dollars.

Hi,

No, I just get a lack of a green banner.

All round though, the Perch UI is very slow in FireFox and Chrome, and often I get white screens when clicking on components such as repeater blocks.

Also, having a Service Worker active in the site logs out the current user so I'm having to view pages in a different browser.

I think the problem actually needs to be fixed in the source, not at the user end.

My PHP software has been updated in my software stack, and I'm not going to roll back because the previous version was very slow.

If there's a workaround, other than rolling back let me know because 7.4 will likely be updated on the server soon and I have little control over this process and I don't think it's adequate to offer such workarounds and have them held up as "solutions".

Personally, I don't care whether it is pay once, use and update for free thereafter, or else have unlimited project changes; otherwise add a paid shop plug-in, indeed pay for a period of updates and/or support.

What I do care about is when a product cycle ends, that it is feature complete and bug-free.

Hi,

I am finding that when I click on Details for any page, and change something, sometimes I can use the CTRL + S combination but other times I can't but either way it does not save any information and I must click Submit in any case.

Just to note, it does seem to happen when more than one tab is open, in either chrome or firefox.

Thanks

Hi,

Thank you for the question Hussein but the answer is no because even though content is duplicated in some pages, to account for a responsive page; I figure search engines would potentially pay attention to display:none; since in some pages I have different content in the upper block, such as an image in Desktop view.

To the wider forum and developers, would this be a candidate for a feature request because it's kind of tiring having to duplicate all the time when you make a change in one repeater only to have to re-enter the same information in another.

Cheers

Hi ellimondo,

I feared that would be the answer, having to mess around with regions or custom content but I'm still unsure as to whether or not what I am asking is actually possible.

If not, I would submit that a feature request and/or poll is in order, particulary if users are going to be asked to stump up more money going forward.

Cheers

Hi,

I have the following two blocks:

and

which have I believe, what are identical code structures that I would like to replicate content for.

I was wondering if simply using the same id="" for a <perch:repeater></perch:repeater whether the content will simply be replicated in the same way that id="hidden" can be used to duplicate content for text fields.

Apologies for changing subject, but will there be any further updates to V3?

Not that I've had any issues, but I would like to have a feature complete version so I can make an informed decision going forward, i.e. to V4, rather than have to upgrade just to get fixes for things that were either promised or arose during the product cycle.

I have experience with one company I am endeared to as well but they *always* leave things unfixed by the next whole version number and while it frustrates many; the choice is stark, e.g. use inferior software or purchase hardware as a service.

Cheers perchers!