License key supposedly not valid for domain assigned to it in 2.8.34 (trying to upgrade from 1.8)

• Greetings, this is a new thread about a problem I tried fixing a month or so ago but didn’t get anywhere with. I have some time now so am looking at it again.

I have a website still running on Perch 1.8, which needs upgrading to at the very least to Perch 2 so that database access starts working again after the server upgrade to PHP 7. I’m following the upgrade guide and installed the version of Perch 2 available from my account download page, which appears to be version 2.8.34. However, when I try to log in to perch to run the upgrade process, I get a “license key not valid for this domain” error.

I’ve set that as the domain (and the www. variant as the testing domain just in case) to no avail. Is it possible to fix this without just temporarily disabling the license key checking code (which I’d rather avoid for obvious reasons) so that I can get on with the upgrade?

Many thanks,
    Barnaby

• drewm

Approved the thread.
  • How do I tell? My licenses page lists the three licenses I bought, and gives me download links for Perch 2 and 3, but doesn’t say anything about which versions the license keys are for. I bought the keys back in the days of Perch 1 (September 2011), is it necessary to buy a new license key to use upgraded versions? I didn’t see that mentioned anywhere on the license page or in the upgrade documentation, but I’d be happy to do so.

• The license keys begin with P1, P2 or P3 for Perch 1, 2 and 3 respectively.

If you've got a Perch 1 license, that won't work with Perch 2 or 3. You'll need a new license.

Perch 2 license keys work with Perch 3, as that was a free upgrade.

None of these licenses will work with Perch 4 or any version of Perch Runway.

• Finally got a bit more time to look at this — okay, good to know the keys only work on specific versions, and weird that it’s not mentioned anywhere on the license page, and that there’s not a more useful error message when trying to activate a version of perch.

Will a newly bought Perch 3 license key work with Perch 2? As far as I can tell, in order to run the automatic upgrades, I need to first upgrade from Perch 1 to 2 before moving on to 3, but I can only buy a license key for the newest version.