Broken Site help!

• Hi all,

I designed a website 10 years ago and a friend built is using perch.

I've just had the client message me to say the site isn't working. Every element that uses perch isn't loading.

I've check the error log (snippet below attached, it's 100mbs in total).

My hosting company have been decommissioning anything PHP below 7.2 and I'm guessing this is an old Perch install as it was original created in 2011.

Does the above look like it's an issue with the PHP being upgraded automatically?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh and the website is http://ourdoctors.co.uk/

Cheers

Adam

• George G

Approved the thread.
  • It looks like you are using Perch 1.7.3 which is very old. Your error log refers to a MySQL connection method that is now deprecated and won't work with PHP 7. As a result, apart from anything else, your site won't be able to connect to its database.

You need to upgrade the site. At least to Perch 2 and hopefully further to Perch 3. Alternatively, perhaps the host will downgrade you back to PHP 5 if that's what you were using but that's not a good long-term option because PHP 5 is also outdated and no longer supported.

There are upgrade instructions for Perch 1 -> 2 here https://docs.grabaperch.com/pe…ing/updating/from-perch1/

The upgrade should be carried out on a test site first.

Another option:

If it were me, I would assess how much of the site is in Perch. If this is minimal, I might be tempted to do a fresh install of Perch 3 because this may be less work. This means you would need a copy of the site content from a back-up.

• Thanks so much for replying Clive.

I've tried installing V2. I renamed the old folder. Created a new perch folder for V2. The uploaded the files. Moved the template and resources across. Did the install part with the DB name and password.

I've installed the upgrade app, when I got to the URL it takes me to the login screen.

When I try login to the admin side of the site i'm getting

"Sorry, your license key isn't valid for this domain.
    Log into your Perch account and add the following as your live or testing domain: ourdoctors.co.uk"

Any ideas what i've done wrong or need to do to get the upgrade app?

Thanks

Adam

• Hi Clive.

Thanks again for your reply. The error message appears when I try log in with my usual login details.

This may be a silly question, but the license I have will be for V1 of Perch. Do I need to pay for a new license? I've had a look and I can only get the latest licence for V3. Would this still work with V2?

Might seem a really stupid question, but wanted to double check.

Thanks

• I thought I'd replied here, but thank you Clive for your help! I managed to upgrade but lost all the content for some reason. I just repopulated it using wayback machine.

Thanks again for your help!