Alternative solution for the event app

• As I found in a older post the event app should no longer be used because it's out of date. So I am looking for another way to achieve what I need:

I have a page that shows a set of events (articles with type, date etc.) over the year. Users should be able to filter type and date. Passed events should no longer appear in the list, they should be moved to an archive. Am I right to develop it with categories or is there a better way? It's a Perch project (not Runway).

I would appreciate very much if someone could help me start the right way. :)

Thanks a lot!

• Gareth S

Approved the thread.
  • What's nice about the Events app is the editing environment has tabs for past and future events. I really don't want to lose that yet. And I have not seen any issues where techniques used in any other Perch app don't work in events. So its still my choice for date-based data.

• Thanks for your replies, guys!

@Hussein:

Multiple item region is fine so far.

How would you add a two level filter there? With a user-filtered list? Users should be able to filter and/or type and date of events.

And I am wondering what you personally think about the event app. If you mean it's still fine, maybe it would be the better solution? (I have used it in the past.) Automatically hiding past events is very practicle...

• And I am wondering what you personally think about the event app.

I think I started using Perch when the Events app was already considered old and no longer supported. I never used it myself on any project. Regions or Collections did the job just fine for me.

I'm unsure if it makes use of Perch's relatively newer features as things stand, and I doubt it would be updated to support any new core features.

How would you add a two level filter there? With a user-filtered list? Users should be able to filter and/or type and date of events.

There is no one way. If I remember correctly, the archive page that comes with the Blog page includes examples of filtering by dates. The type of the event can be a custom field or a category field (filtering by either one is different).

A quick example:

• What's nice about the Events app is the editing environment has tabs for past and future events. I really don't want to lose that yet. And I have not seen any issues where techniques used in any other Perch app don't work in events. So its still my choice for date-based data.

I currently have an extensive what's on listing using collections - the only issue is that all events are displayed in the admin.

Does anyone know of a way to filter past and future events in the admin using collections?

Many thanks