Error Deprecated : Function get_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in C:\PortableApps\UniServerZ\www\perch\core\lib\PerchDB_MySQL.class.php on line 375

• I think the problem actually needs to be fixed in the source, not at the user end.

My PHP software has been updated in my software stack, and I'm not going to roll back because the previous version was very slow.

If there's a workaround, other than rolling back let me know because 7.4 will likely be updated on the server soon and I have little control over this process and I don't think it's adequate to offer such workarounds and have them held up as "solutions".

• While I understand your points, until drewm releases a PHP-7.4-compatible version of Perch I don't think you have many options.

7.4 will likely be updated on the server soon and I have little control over this process

You should have control. Software compatibility with newer versions of programming languages/environments is not a Perch-only problem (it's not even a PHP-only problem), so a good web host would make older versions available particularly if these versions are still supported. PHP 7.3 is supported until 6 December 2020, and will receive security support until 6 December 2021. I don't expect you to keep using it until 6 December 2021, but it is safe to use it in the meantime.

I'm not going to roll back because the previous version was very slow.

I don't think PHP 7.3 is slow. Yes, 7.4 is probably faster, but 7.3 shouldn't cause the speed issues you are describing. Were you running 7.3 or a much older version?

I don't think it's adequate to offer such workarounds and have them held up as "solutions".

Of course not. I'm not suggesting rolling back to 7.3 is a permanent solution. A 7.4-compatible Perch update is certainly expected.

However, it is also important to recognise that it is your responsibility as the developer to make sure you run the software in a compatible environment. In order to achieve this, you now know you can roll back to PHP 7.3.