Posts by nascent

I prefer close-source personally.

I like what Perch is.

I don't want any changes other than on the UI side or else some plugins or add-on's.

This isn't PHP related, but Perch related and having to do with updates. The present Dashboard isn't adapted for a strong Content-Security-Policy.

As of right now, the CSP requires and unsafe-inline directive to permit inline styles and scripts. This defeats the whole purpose of the CSP.

It's just a wishlist item. I would've loved to have carried on with Perch in other projects. Sad to see it go.

Perch is working better since the 3.1.7 update.

I have an ongoing issue with running a Service Worker, bringing the Perch Login to an unfound page but all in all the update has improved performance.

One thing I had to do though, was create a new database and import but that happened while I was running 3.16.

Unconfirmed but I think I can now have multiple tabs open and edit region content independently, which is very welcome if operational.

All in all, the CMS is supported by the developers, which is very comforting for me since I have invested a huge amount of time into my templates and I don't want to have to run a HTML only website just to salvage my work, or re-design something on a new CMS.

I think the republish feature reindexes all regions on all pages.

Ok, so refresh my memory if you will in regard to a region, e.g., is this a result of perch_content or perch_content_create or is it just an area within a Perch template?

Just to add, the performance issues I am noting, are more tied to using Localhost, rather than on server hardware but the issue of having to save twice persists and I believe this should be fixed, particularly when you want to do things that require updating a region where no visible content has actually changed.

Thank you for the replies.

I have started adding no-index to some fields but is it true that I must save each templated region or content area individually?

In other words, can I not simply use something like Republish Pages instead?

Perch already has major performance issues when it comes to saving content, for example: I open all content areas for a particular page in New Tabs of a web browser (any) and go to click each "Save Changes" button individually but alas I must click it again or else use CTRL+S just to see Content Saved Successfully.

Saying that, it can take up to 10 seconds to actually save content!

I am holding out hope that V4 actually improves performance of Perch and offers new features as well, particularly in the area of saving content because I'd not want to pick up a web developer job from someone who used Perch before me were I to know the true state of play.

Hi,

I am getting this in Perch settings:

Code
    1. Array
    2. ( [type] => 8192 [message] => Function get_magic_quotes_gpc() is deprecated [file] => C:\PortableApps\UniServerZ\www\perch\core\lib\PerchUtil.class.php [line] => 1382
    3. )

I was getting a similar message in web page output, however they are gone with the 3.16 update, however I was under the impression that all notices were gone with PHP 7.4.

If I delete:

Code
    1. if (get_magic_quotes_gpc()) {
    2. $strip = true;
    3. }

From the aforementioned file, there is no longer a message so maybe there is still a bug of some kind?

Thank you Hussein,

So, before I begin adding no-index to every single perch:content template tag, would there be some tags where I don't need actually to add this attribute, e.g. tags that just duplicate content or else hidden tags?

I am not sure if my logic is correct but with the Magic Quotes situation now rectified, I would like to see if I can gain any kind of optimisation in regard to my data that may yield a performance increase but I don't want to willy-nilly add attributes that don't actually do anything or else will hamper performance in the longer term.

I set PERCH_UNDO_BUFFER to 2 (I saw a previous post of yours on this subject) as I don't really need to be worried about revisions as I am the Content Editor and developer so can that be set to 1 or 0?

My site is in development mode as well but I will save questions on that for a later post, along with configuration questions going forward because I have a feeling that with V4, things will change in ways that will allow us to do more but of course this is speculation on my part.

Best regards

Hi,

I recently discovered the no-index attribute however, I was wondering what this actually does in practice since I don't use any sorting of data and simply have images and content from the database.

Saying that, however I have used Perch PHP commands to retrieve data from the database to re-use in Perch templates so if for example, I marked every field with no-index, would I at some stage run into trouble?

Also, what would happen to the database in terms of previously indexed content, i.e., would my database shrink?

Cheers and thank you to the team and developers, for remaining positive at this time of change for our beloved Perch CMS.

First let me say a big THANK YOU, to the Perch team for making the 3.1.6 update a reality.

This was a really nice thing to do and has allayed my personal concerns regarding future compatibility.

I think the answer is clear, first-party add-on's are "at risk" of being open sourced.

Now with what seems to be everyone saying they want to contribute, then do so and stop complaining because Perch is and always will be the truly great little CMS.

Perch V3 is solid.

The only problem is compatibility with PHP 7.4, which consequently is easy to get around by hiding a few lines of source.

I believe Drew is looking into 7.4 compatibility but my experience is, it can run rather slow on 7.4 and the UI is often sluggish but it still works well on the rendering side.

Personally, I would not discourage new people taking this up, the only real complaints are around compliance with regulations in relation to E-commerce, and I doubt the templating language will change much; if anything new programming possibilities will be added, with older methods not being deprecated any time soon so if you love templating (like me :) then i would say go for it because it is a wonderful system to use and you can always move code into the PHP side of things and generate markup that way.

Best,

There's been some talk of compat issues with PHP 7.4, so I'd want to track those down and see what can be patched.

Thank you Drew,

As to the Roadmap, I may have mentioned before, a company called Steinberg who make multimedia and audio software; recently changed how they develop their products, which was originally to the dismay of many users but on the whole I think most people accept that if they want new features quickly and bug fixes early, then there will inevitably be issues along the way however while many will choose to be on the bleeding edge, there will always be a stable version to draw on; even if not feature complete or else the previous version.

Cheers

This normally happens when one an old project dies or stops using Perch, so the owner of the license reassigns the license to a new domain for a new project instead of purchasing a new license.

I'm not aware of any CMS solution that charges a fee so if a project ends, why wouldn't a license owner want to re-purpose or re-sell their license?

Saying that, again I have nothing against charging ongoing fees, so long as they aren't exhorbitant.

How do you actually reuse a license anyway?

I was under the impression that when you specify a domain in your account, that unless the license matched your domain wouldn't work.

Personally, I never came to Perch thinking about other CMS solutions, I was simply attracted to the fact that I could balance a database with PHP and HTML client code.

I am confident in what Drew says but would appreciate compatibility with the lastest version(s) of PHP ASAP.

As for the Shop, I don't use it but understand others' concerns but am still prepared to pay yearly price if it's not in the 100's of dollars.

Hi,

No, I just get a lack of a green banner.

All round though, the Perch UI is very slow in FireFox and Chrome, and often I get white screens when clicking on components such as repeater blocks.

Also, having a Service Worker active in the site logs out the current user so I'm having to view pages in a different browser.

I think the problem actually needs to be fixed in the source, not at the user end.

My PHP software has been updated in my software stack, and I'm not going to roll back because the previous version was very slow.

If there's a workaround, other than rolling back let me know because 7.4 will likely be updated on the server soon and I have little control over this process and I don't think it's adequate to offer such workarounds and have them held up as "solutions".