Posts by nascent

So, from his perspective, it's really up to your PHP devs to look into this.

From my perspective, as an end, user; I use a pre-built library on localhost called UniserverZ.

My web-hosting, however have said that besides the lack of plug-in's available for PHP8 generally, that authentication is an issue, and I am fine with that so long as what I write transfers to the last supported version, i.e., 7.4.5.

You're not alone in this. I had a similar thread a while back.

A perch_region_order would be fantastic to semantically control the order regions are shown in the admin area as they are a little unpredictable when trying to insert a region in between two existing regions.

Do you find also, that even though a new page is behind a subfolder, that it still places it in the root of the site, i.e., in the UI?

Clive Walker I hope you take this as no offense, but it has become a game to me at this point. I asked the same question several months ago with no response and now I'm annoyed. The answer to that question is huge for me.

I have unanswered questions, as well; for example, why do content editors need to save twice, i.e., when multiple tabs are open in the browser?

This situation can lead to data loss, so while I'd like to know about Blog, etc., I am more interested in Core so if you can refrain from posting duplicates, it would be appreciated.

nascent Personally, I would not be using this on a live site. It's a preview version and I tend to view these as "beta". Up to you of course!

Will that actually be the case, or will it be a revised 3.3; with subscriptions beyond 4.0 or 4.1?

That is all speculation but I am happy running whatever the last supported version of Perch is for a time to come, since I have a lot of work to do on templating, getting rid of /'s and non-HTML 5 attributes.

Gareth S I was wondering how this might work, e.g., can it be used to upgrade an existing installation, without having to downgrade, i.e., once any trial period has ended?

I am happy to create another (local) installation but if there is no impact on a license or website, then I will put it into production, and wait for any pricing changes from then on.

All the best, and looking forward to the next iteration of Perch CMS!

You're not alone in this. I had a similar thread a while back.

A perch_region_order would be fantastic to semantically control the order regions are shown in the admin area as they are a little unpredictable when trying to insert a region in between two existing regions.

Region ordering would be fantastic, to allow for programmatic ordering of regions.

As for my other point about having to save twice, when multiple tabs are open; it really is quite poor that nothing has been said about this at any stage (the previous owners in particular said nothing of which I am aware) since it means you must first do a dummy save and then instigate a real save with or without fields and controls, or data; since the data and any selections simply disappear, which is a pain not least because of time wasted but also data loss and adds to a less than quality experience.

It would be great if the current developers could comment on this since I don't believe it to be too much a stretch of the imagination; to think that a Content Editor might want to have multiple similar edit pages open in separate browser tabs, e.g., via CTRL + CLICK on a region and then have to update database entries for each page, whether or not any new content has been added.

On a side note, as far as I know "Republish Pages does not achieve simple update of data in the database, i.e., when a template changes slightly.

Does anyone else experience the issue of random order region creation? Having to open another tab and manually copy/paste information is a real drag actually, and should be addressed before Perch becomes a subscription-based service, at least in my opinion.

Also, as stated before, having to press Save twice on the Details and Settings pages, is a real inconvenience so put these two things together and in my view at least you have a very user-unfriendly CMS notwithstanding that depending on what control or text field you have entered data; data may actually be lost which adds frustration to the whole experience.

Are these the sorts of things that Perch developers and the developers of Perch want going forward?

Another off-the-cuff feature request:

It would be nice if when adding new regions, that the order is preserved, i.e., when using perch_content_create() so that you don't need to recreate a region, simply to preserve a visual order.

Hi,

So does that mean 3.3 is effectively cancelled?

I am keen to know about V4 but as there is no pricing information available, I would be happy for 3.3 this year and while I am aware of e-commerce issues surrounding the Shop plugin, I am personally more interested in development of the CMS itself.

All the best

I was wondering whether there is any information regarding future pricing.

Currently, I own a single V3 license, and I will upgrade it to V4 but I am also considering obtaining another license.

I have looked at other CMS's, and have found some with monthly, yearly or ongoing charges that follow a single fee, which I assume may also be the future of Perch.

It's a bit fluid right now but there is at least one update, under new ownership; which instils confidence so I believe I am in good hands but I am curious (like many I believe would be ) as to what will happen next.

The Perch is 10 Blog, spoke about Perch being more like a service, and while I agree with the sentiment, I am wondering about the situation in terms of what happens after the first year, in relation to compatibility.

Perch under both the current and previous owners, was always in good stead update wise so while I am not worried about there being unfinished work on the CMS itself, e.g., in relation to PHP compatibility, I do have concerns as to ongoing pricing.

While I am more than happy to pay another fee, simply because I know the quality of the support on offer; I don't really want to be saddled with too high ongoing costs, since I only work on a single website for myself and to be blunt, I don't really want to learn another templating language, especially one that dictates both content and structure, when the Perch API serves all my needs perfectly and without bother.

I wrote previously in regard to .jsonld for perch_page_attributes() but another thing I would like to see is having the ability to navigate sub-pages, from within parent pages.

In addition, I don't know if this is a database issue but when opening multiple tabs, only the first opened tab from another opened tab allows single click or CTRL + S.

Looking forward to 3.3!