Google Oauth

• Hi

Just a heads up to app devs and Perch HQ drewm – I had an email from Google this morning announcing the end of Less Secure Apps (LSA). I know that Gmail uses LSA so this announcement will affect a lot of Perch users in the future.

Dear Administrator,

We’re constantly working to improve the security of your organization’s Google accounts. As part of this effort, and in consideration of the current threat landscape, we’ll be turning off access to less secure apps (LSA) — non-Google apps that can access your Google account with only a username and password, without requiring any additional verification steps. Access through only a username and password makes your account more vulnerable to hijacking attempts. Moving forward, only apps that support a more modern and secure access method called OAuth will be able to access your G Suite account.

Access to LSAs will be turned off in two stages:

1. June 15, 2020 - Users who try to connect to an LSA for the first time will no longer be able to do so. This includes third-party apps that allow password-only access to Google calendars, contacts, and email via protocols such as CalDAV, CardDAV and IMAP. Users who have connected to LSAs prior to this date will be able to continue using them until usage of all LSAs is turned off.
    2. February 15, 2021 - Access to LSAs will be turned off for all G Suite accounts.
  • Here is something you can do pretty quickly, and this is how I send email from pretty much all my Perch Site. It takes about 10-15 minutes to setup.

You can use my OpenSource API MAIL app to send email via a WebBased API like SendGrid. SendGrid allows a decend number of email send free per month. Of course they give you a 15day pro trial, but when that expires you just get knocked down to the free tier and its quite reasonable for most peoples sites: (100/day).

The added benefit is you get a decent admin panel in SendGrid that shows open rates etc.

So its a free alternative for those normally using Gmail SMTP.

I built this to send with SendGrid, so the SendGrid connector is available out of the box. If you need a connector for a different WebBased API, i'd be happy to develop it for you if you sponsor its development for the OpenSource project.