Posts by JayW

Isn't the process to contact directors@perchrunway.com with queries to do with licenses? Did you try that email?

Runway is still good. If you have any licenses I'd hang on to them! Or if you have normal Perch licenses, maybe they'll give you a good deal on updating to Runway.

Runway is still a good option for business sites including e-commerce and other things. It allows you to focus on Javascript web apps if you like that, or HTML and CSS mainly... it doesn't bully you into any way of working unlike other systems.

I use Github to manage Runway website code, via the Github Desktop client...works well. I hate command lines! I will never ever use a command line. Ever!

Snipcart works really well with collection items I've discovered. I won't be using Perch Shop again even if they update it. With Snipcart it's possible to have event-like products where the price is influenced by both collection item data and dynamic user input on the product page, including things like calendar input in relation to server time, and anything you like. Because Runway makes it easy to manipulate the output before it's rendered, then Snipcart allows dynamic incremental pricing changes via javascript. The combo of these two factors opens many possible product types that Perch Shop couldn't cater for. I'll share my code later in show-tell section.

The modern web is using this "set of tools" approach more. Runway is still a solid option at the center of that approach, bringing it all together with its somewhat awkward and irritating interface! I still hope for V4 one day, but I think it may need a developer who wants to do it...

I don't think there's a core developer right now who wants to work on it. Let's face it, it will need one dedicated senior dev who owns it and stays up late obsessively working on it because they want to make a good product. This is missing right now. If "dark mode" is all they can come up with, it is telling that we're missing a core developer. All we have are these community moderators playing musical chairs!

I think it needs to check for duplicate SKUs and not allow you to create two which are the same

That sounds like uncommon user error.

SKU's are widely understood as needing to be unique, it's the whole point. Entering "GRE" for both green and grey sounds like someone needs to type "what is an SKU" into Google! :-) We need less distractions towards V4, not more!

Disabling the first <option> with the disabled attribute allows you to have filler text that will force users to pick an option and ensure there is a message available to inform the user what it is they're supposed to do.

Good to know that "!" disables an option. Personally I wouldn't use that for placeholder or instruction text, but it depends on the project.

The HTML input label's job is to inform the user what to do for that input. If you need to force users to pick an option, you can use "allowempty" in combination with "required". The user will not be able to submit the form without selecting an option. But each to their own!

Regarding "next", it replaces the word "action" in your perch form tag. This allows you to advance to other pages including the same page. You can use query strings... so for example "next=/member-profile?updated=1". When users edit their profile and click save, you can look for that query and present a message "details successfully updated" on the same page.

This isn't the whole solution, but is a piece of the puzzle related to members. It may be enough for you figure out the rest in relation to shop.

In templates > members > member.html, add your custom fields.

The default member.html template looks like this:

Code
    1. <perch:members type="text" id="first_name" label="First name" listing="true" order="1" />
    2. <perch:members type="text" id="last_name" label="Last name" listing="true" order="2" />

Add your custom fields to this file:

Code
    1. <perch:members type="text" id="pickup_location" label="Pickup location" listing="true" order="3" />

Now your custom fields will appear in the control panel for each member.

BTW I don't think you need an action in your perch form tag, why do you have that? You can use next="/shop/checkout/" if you need to advance the form to a specific page on submit.

That way I might finally get an answer.

Your question asks if there's "any news", which is answered by lack of news.

It's obvious what you're doing, but thought I'd point out that technically your question can be answered without anyone saying "there is no news". :-)

The business team and development team are passing it back and forth, they may be stuck in an infinite loop! Send the jaws of life and rubber gloves!

Meanwhile, I don't care.... I can wait or just stick with current Runway. I've just discovered Snipcart from suggestions in other threads. Works very well with collection items. It's what I imagined a good shop app, something that was more drop-in than "whole store". I like the elegance of the vue.js templating overrides of snipcart and the degree of control. The possibilities when combined with Perch collections is actually exciting. The separation of content and e-commerce makes more sense to me now than ever.

So I can't agree with JamieT's "look elsewhere" for core Perch, but absolutely for Perch Shop - which was a free app anyway, and does the basics, but is too limited and outdated.

One option is to add this to your function:

PHP
    1. 'skip-template' => true,'return-html' => true,

to stop it displaying on page.

Then right after the function, do this....

Code
    1. if(isset($department[0])) {
    2.     $dept_name = $department[0]['department'];
    3. }

Then you can use $dept_name in your layout

Code
    1. perch_layout('global.header', array(
    2.     'bodyclass' => $dept_name,
    3. ));

Minor thing, but I used "bodyclass" instead of "page" to avoid confusing with generic names.

...the ability for collections to be indexed

This sounds good, I'd like to know more. Does it mean when querying a perch collection, I could add a flag in the function to use the static index if available and ignore hitting the database? I don't quite understand what format the index is.... is it like a json file that is generated, or are we talking about the whole HTML output from the collection template? Nothing beats the speed of static files so the closer we get to that the better.

I would thumbs-up all posts and suggestions above, so I will thumbs-up none, it's the same thing. Using likes to evaluate popularity of the suggestion won't work. You should be able to figure out what is or isn't worth doing without number of likes on a forum post.

- New kind of "shop modules", so for example you could decide to sell a regular collection item by dropping in some perch e-commerce tags, and hooking up whatever values from the collection item might populate the invoice. I don't see why the concept needs to be a "shop" vs "buy this thing on the page".

- Instead of "better UI", how about better customisation and control of the UI, so we can easily make it look how we want? Please don't try to paint a picture that everyone loves, it won't happen. Just provide good interface options.

- When limiting sub-page template choice with "may use these master pages" in page settings, it would be nice if as the admin, I could see the whole list when creating sub-pages, and choose any master page I liked, leaving only Editor roles with the restricted choice. So an override in settings for admin roles to ignore the "may use these master pages" setting for sub-page template choice. Easy!

- And finally for fun... NOT copy Wordpress for anything! That place is out of control. They allow plugin developers to hook into the "deactivate plugin" button, so instead of deactivation you get marketing spin twisting your arm. Or not allowing deactivation unless you submit a form to the developer with reasons why, without any "skip this crap" button. Sometimes you need a plugin to hide the annoyances of other plugins. "Pro" SEO tools like Yoast inserting ads for themselves in your HTML? Don't worry, there's a plugin to stop that! But then read the comments of that plugin, whoops it stopped working because Yoast changed something... Please don't make Perch "like Wordpress", where devs charge $60 per year for a "search box" or $50 per year for an official plugin that "bundles products". Wordpress is not an inspiration. The other day Wordpress official attempted to dramatise the fact I hadn't renewed a certain minor plugin or extension of theirs, with a "tick tock" banner expressing that time is counting down to an expired subscription - the implication that bad things will happen unless I pay another $60 for some minor point update for a minor shipping label plugin. Please don't make Perch "like Wordpress"! /rant

Can we just sell Runway to hus_hmd ?!! Or add him to core team? That would be cool!

In a twisted way the update freeze is beneficial, it's so damn predictable now lol! Installing runway is a bit like bolting a machine to the concrete floor, it won't move.

Project Manager .....Development team...... when the times right, introduce you to our Project Manager.

edit. I wonder what version 4 features were in dev before it was sold? one wish item: search for things in the control panel and filter by type of item. I would like to filter out assets from searches as it makes finding collection items a pain when dozens of assets with similar names are polluting the results. Like code, can edit to make more efficient!

Maybe your email went to their spam folder for hello@grabaperch.com

They should be using a support ticket form that appears for logged in users in the account section, rather than relying on a publicly known and likely highly spammed email. Whoever is checking that in-box will have a challenging task picking out the legit emails.

Currently the box 'Mark as library asset' is ticked for every new asset entered.

Could be a browser issue. Definitely try a different browser and see if the box is checked when adding a new asset.

In regards to the config setting "PERCH_CLEAN_RESOURCES", whether it's true or false has no influence on the default status of the "mark as library asset" checkbox. At least on my installation when I tested, the checkbox is always unchecked regardless of the config file setting.

Funny thing is I just quickly googled, and found a post from you, Stefan from 7 years ago, which is why your config file had the clean_resources setting to false! You were troubleshooting a different issue... :-)

http://forum.grabaperch.com/fo…ssets-disappearing?page=2

Why have two collections?

Wouldn't it be better to have one collection called "Photo Albums" and within each album item, you'd have any number of images? I know this doesn't answer your question, but I'm curious as to how people are doing photos albums.

great stuff, I hope new home owners can maintain the stability it has now, as it runs snappy even on cheap hosting :) it would be good if that performance can continue. Good to know it's still kicking so our licenses will keep going. I wonder if e-commerce addon will be looked at again... Runway has been great to work with, I like the functions and neat control over heaps of variables without complicated programming.

… total lack of communication from the perch team

Not that I want to start a "thing", but isn't it just one dude, not a "team". LOL, the grumpy demands for communication are a bit much. The reasons for slowing down Perch dev were mentioned previously. Meanwhile the software still works.

Sounds like wheels are turning anyway, so maybe be patient during a global pandemic? Not that anyone needs defending, but Drew has literally thousands of forum posts to his name (including old forum), and I'd call that pretty good communication relative to the lifespan of product. I'd also prefer software devs spend time on the software than replying to needy forum posters :-) Anyway, where were we? Ah yes happiness, rainbows, and shiny things await those who have been good.

Long shot, but the last time my page didn't load, the problem was caused by the page template still had leftover code from an app I'd removed from my apps config, but forgot to remove code in template that was trying to load it. Told you it was a long shot!

I have a situation where a client wishes to have multiple administrators look after individual pages

To be picky, "administrators" are by definition top dog, granted full rights to see anything.

I had a similar situation where I wanted different staff in the company to manage only the content they were responsible for, so guess what I did to solve the problem? I asked them to edit only what they're responsible for.

If you can't trust someone to follow basic instructions about the pages they're meant to edit, then perhaps they shouldn't be given access at all? In my case, I still created a general "editor" role with limited scope, and I also encouraged them to save bookmarks to the edit pages or collections they worked on. That way, they don't see the list of all pages in their editing routine.

Apart from that, it sounds like a job for the members app. Not sure how you'd get uploaded content published to pages though. Without knowing exactly what you're hoping to end up with, hard to say.