• Gareth S or any other support person who can be bothered. Given the major idiocy, lack of good faith, and a lot of other fake promises occurring here I desperately want to get out so I need to transfer all my unused licenses to someone who still seems to have faith in you.

Please advise how long you will take to transfer licenses and what I need to do to make this happen ASAP.

I simply have had enough!

I await your reply..

• Well, the UK bank holiday is over Cyprus (where your dev team are supposed to be based) finished annual holidays last weekend so what’s the excuse this time?

I do not seem to warrant even the usual “pass it up the chain” buck passing response which has been the norm here for months. Not even a false promise of delivering something soon.

How anybody can even contemplate trusting Perch under its current ownership is beyond me. Here’s a suggestion, deliver a usable product in terms of actual code and support or get out of the way and allow it to be open sourced. Nobody probably including yourselves want this grief.

• Isn't the process to contact directors@perchrunway.com with queries to do with licenses? Did you try that email?

Runway is still good. If you have any licenses I'd hang on to them! Or if you have normal Perch licenses, maybe they'll give you a good deal on updating to Runway.

Runway is still a good option for business sites including e-commerce and other things. It allows you to focus on Javascript web apps if you like that, or HTML and CSS mainly... it doesn't bully you into any way of working unlike other systems.

I use Github to manage Runway website code, via the Github Desktop client...works well. I hate command lines! I will never ever use a command line. Ever!

Snipcart works really well with collection items I've discovered. I won't be using Perch Shop again even if they update it. With Snipcart it's possible to have event-like products where the price is influenced by both collection item data and dynamic user input on the product page, including things like calendar input in relation to server time, and anything you like. Because Runway makes it easy to manipulate the output before it's rendered, then Snipcart allows dynamic incremental pricing changes via javascript. The combo of these two factors opens many possible product types that Perch Shop couldn't cater for. I'll share my code later in show-tell section.

The modern web is using this "set of tools" approach more. Runway is still a solid option at the center of that approach, bringing it all together with its somewhat awkward and irritating interface! I still hope for V4 one day, but I think it may need a developer who wants to do it...

I don't think there's a core developer right now who wants to work on it. Let's face it, it will need one dedicated senior dev who owns it and stays up late obsessively working on it because they want to make a good product. This is missing right now. If "dark mode" is all they can come up with, it is telling that we're missing a core developer. All we have are these community moderators playing musical chairs!

• It’s an administrative issue nothing to do with the dev team just get someone to do their job it’s now been a week. Pathetic response from a pathetic outfit!

You are now costing my business cash by your negligence , and as such failing on your legal duty of care. Sort it out or I will investigate what recourse I have against you.

• How can a product which obviously is rudderless and with no communication be a good option?

There are a dozens of other CMS’s vying for business Perch while useful in its day is no better than myriad others which are well maintained and I could probably rely on going forward . There is no way I would give these people any money or even use Runway if they gave it to me free!

• Snipcart works really well with collection items I've discovered. I won't be using Perch Shop again even if they update it. With Snipcart it's possible to have event-like products where the price is influenced by both collection item data and dynamic user input on the product page, including things like calendar input in relation to server time, and anything you like. Because Runway makes it easy to manipulate the output before it's rendered, then Snipcart allows dynamic incremental pricing changes via javascript. The combo of these two factors opens many possible product types that Perch Shop couldn't cater for. I'll share my code later in show-tell section.

I'm just working on a Snipcart + Perch thing so I'd be very interested to see that.

• How can a product which obviously is rudderless and with no communication be a good option?

Because of what you make with it. Perch gives you a database and a few other things, and away you go. It's software you can build stuff with.

You admitted to being "guilty of re-using licenses" in earlier post. Now you're angry about not being able to transfer those licenses.

You said you're sitting on "16 unused licenses". Why buy so many in advance? If you used them previously with clients, then consider that cost like a subscription, now expired.

Basic Perch is cheap... $69. I've seen one-trick wordpress plugins cost more per year. Like WooCommerce's "Table Rate Shipping" $99 per year. It gives a few extra shipping options, nothing more.

New Perch owners since January. It's not *that* long. It only seems a long time because Drew was unhappy for so long and wanting to move on.

Regarding "recommending Perch" to clients. Most non-technical clients won't care about the software name. You're selling them a dynamic server-rendered CMS solution using a LAMP platform. Personally I hide all Perch branding. I'd never recommend anything other than Runway if you're a developer. Perch basic is better for lightweight solo projects rather than building things for clients. But even then I'd use Runway.

Maybe you should direct your license buyers to the Perch website to pay the $69.

• I'm just working on a Snipcart + Perch thing so I'd be very interested to see that.

Sure, I'm still in test mode but the build is close to done and I'll share what I can when ready. The general technique is more important than the actual code I wrote.

There are limits of course, but it's all about working within the limits!

I'm assembling the snipcart options code during the collection item function call before it's rendered. So basically the snipcart code starts out as a blank hidden collection item field. This allows all kinds of pre-processing of the price to happen such as things related to membership login, server time, URL components, or whatever else. The trick is taking advantage of Snipcart's custom data values, the "value" of which can be changed with javascript. The final rendered snipcart button code may contain quite a lot of data in the "data-item-custom1-options" (this is the limit I mentioned), but I've found it works fine even when heavily populated with many options... I have about 60 or so options, but I assume you could take it further.

Obviously in the cart, you would hide the options drop down. so people only see the main product they ordered, and a one-line summary of the options they chose. If they wish to adjust options, they'd do it from the page containing your web app and HTML forms - which is not a problem because the cart is just an overlay on that page anyway. This allows users to dynamically assemble the product options before the cart, in a manner that you see fit. And that's just one collection item.. you can use standard list-detail to replicate this over your other products.

It points to the power of perch collection items, and Snipcart's flexible system for handling the data. This is what I mean when you can find ways to use Perch as is, and make interesting things despite lagging updates or minimal communication!

All the best.

• thank you for the lesson on how to run my business. Actually yes I am annoyed and occasionally I reused licenses as was allowed at the time. Why I bought the licenses is irrelevant someone is looking to buy them in bulk so maybe you would like to question their intentions as well?

I am not selling clients a CMS I am entering into a long term business relationship and meeting a need which includes hosting and maintenance contracts so I am concerned about the long term implications not dismissing clients who I hopefully will be dealing with for years to come as ignorant or uninterested.

As this post was opened to address admin problems and my situation with the owners perhaps we should just let admin respond as really your input is pretty irrelevant and a lecture I do not need.

• Hallelujah life exists! Trouble is I have already emailed that address with no response!

Hello TheOldDesigner . I have been passing feedback along and I have been asked to provide you with the following response from the director.

Please let me know if you require anything else and I'll pass it along.