Perch V4 (and future) Megathread

• Gareth S I'm just adding products to a Perch Shop install today. And one thing which would be an improvement is that the system needs to check for duplicate SKUs. The SKU for options and products etc need to be unique, but it the system doesn't actually check if they are and allows you to have duplicate SKUs, which don't work.

For example I created a colour option for my products, entered Green and Grey as options and used the first three letters as the SKU. So both were "GRE". I was able to enter these and save the options but then if I selected both green and grey as colours it would only create variants for the first entry which was green and completely ignore the grey option. As this is something a client would often do themselves I think it needs to check for duplicate SKUs and not allow you to create two which are the same.

Could you pass this on to the dev team?

• Gareth S if that is the case, why can a release not be planned pre-SCA compliance, with a patch to add the compliance once it is confirmed? Seems strange to hold everything off till that point given the demand to get the product ..

It's getting difficult to wait for V4 tbh. I've got a number of V3 sites out there, which I am looking to do work on (ideally moving to V4 at the same time) as well as some more than are needing started - but I don't want to start them on V3 if V4 is just around the corner. There still also doesn't appear to be any information about the upgrade process from 3 to 4 - nor the commercials - will users who have recently just purchased a v3 license get a v4, or will they need to purchase an upgrade as well ?

• ex-jedi

From what I am aware of, the main delay has been in the creation and exporting of the final build itself, rather than the development side. If I get any further details I will let everyone know asap.

Thanks for that. It would be good if we had something substantial before the weekend. There's a full scale meltdown in progress in the Perchology Slack and amoing the most long suffering members of the community. So a comprehensive report would perhaps help to arrest that a little bit.

I'm still hopeful, but there are many I think that would ridicule me for that. 🤷🏾‍♂️

• I think it needs to check for duplicate SKUs and not allow you to create two which are the same

That sounds like uncommon user error.

SKU's are widely understood as needing to be unique, it's the whole point. Entering "GRE" for both green and grey sounds like someone needs to type "what is an SKU" into Google! :-) We need less distractions towards V4, not more!

• That sounds like uncommon user error.

SKU's are widely understood as needing to be unique, it's the whole point. Entering "GRE" for both green and grey sounds like someone needs to type "what is an SKU" into Google! :-) We need less distractions towards V4, not more!

Whilst it may be user error, one of the reasons we use validation is to prevent user error. If you are managing a large shop with lots of variations it's not unreasonable for someone to add a duplicate SKU and the CMS should provide feedback on that. The SKU is a unique field but it is not enforced, which to me sounds like something the CMS should handle, or at least notify you

You could say duplicate slugs are down to user error, but most CMS tell you when you have a duplicate slug.

• Hi All,

Firstly, the major item - at this link you will find an update, and documentation, for Perch Shop. This is to facilitate SCA compliance, obviously we would recommend testing this first, any issues please let me know so I can pass them to the developers.

The larger V4 update - Our team have completed work a UI dark mode and an update the UI on mobile. We are still working on the full build for this and I will update you all asap.

PHP8 - The latest as far as I am aware was some testing was being done on the cases that were reported previously, again as soon as I have anything further I will update you all here.

Hope everyone has a good weekend!

• Hi All,

Firstly, the major item - at this link you will find an update, and documentation, for Perch Shop. This is to facilitate SCA compliance, obviously we would recommend testing this first, any issues please let me know so I can pass them to the developers.

Well, that went well. when visiting domain.com/perch I get an HTTP 500 error after uploading the Perch Shop v1.2.7 files :cursing:

• Hi All,

seoMatt All future development/updates should be PHP8 Compatible, but given the previous issues I'll ensure this is highlighted.

Glen Does your web host happen to capture any further details on the error at all? Also to any other users that have tested out the Shop update, have you encountered the same thing?

The larger V4 update - Our team have completed work a UI dark mode and an update the UI on mobile. We are still working on the full build for this and I will update you all asap

Dark mode sounds interesting. Is there though a more exhaustive list of changes & improvements in V4? And any update on the preview version release?

• Gareth S I am confused. You say that the dev team have completed work on a dark mode etc and that are working on a full build to release. But previously you have said that the delay on getting a v4 out was not a technical one? Which is it? Is it a technical delay or not? I don't think I'm the only one that is starting to get extremely concerned about this continuing ... delay and uncertainty around v4 :( At this rate I am going to have to look at alternative platforms as there is literally no concrete information at all here.