Perch has a new home!

• compositor Perch is not compatible with PHP 8.

- They updated to PHP 7.4 mid 2020 after much grumbling

- We've had just 5 updates in 3 years

- Most add ons are unmaintained, at worst broken

- Shop is a dead duck

- The dwindling but stoic community supports the product - there is no support available anymore.

This is a paid product with businesses built upon its foundations, so customers are bound to be unhappy and quite rightly are moving elsewhere. Which is sad, as you rightly point out – it was an excellent CMS with a really friendly community but goodwill only lasts so long and many of us are not happy.

• I own a small business and am moving away from WordPress. Perch was suggested on a forum. Reading these posts, I'm feeling rather uncertain if it is the right way to proceed. Plan was I will be building sites for clients and building on Perch, so I just hope that it remains stable and some of the plugins are functional. That was a big selling point...

Most add ons are unmaintained, at worst broken

I don't know any official add-ons that are broken. I agree that some add-ons could be updated but broken, no.

There is also a list of third party add-ons here https://github.com/clivewalker/perchology-links. These are add-ons that have been developed by Perch users/developers.

The new owners will undoubtedly be deciding how to proceed but until we know more it's difficult to comment on that. I still think Perch is a great CMS though :)

• Oh really? I thought Shop was OK for 7.2. My mistake.

If George G is aware, please can you comment on this. Thanks

Unfortunately PHP 7.1 is completely end of life so everyone should be on at least PHP 7.3 by this point. https://www.php.net/supported-versions.php

George G can you share some solid / estimated timelines for us customers please, it's been over 3 months since the acquisition after over a year of almost non existent communication. Should we continue to invest in Perch or start migrating sites elsewhere? I wouldn't have a business left at this point if I treated my customers the way this community has been treat. There is a lot of love for the product be we do now need to start seeing some solid updates / progress.

• What a farce Perch has become.

The level of incompetence and complete lack of respect from both previous owners and the new ones astounds me.

All I can assume at this point, is that Perch was acquired with the sole purpose of squeezing out the last few licenses from the user-base before shutting up shop. Any response (or lack of) to this that is along the lines of “something is coming soon”, or “we’ll update you as soon as we can” will only confirm those assumptions I’m afraid.

The following questions need answering immediately:

• What is happening?
    • Why aren’t you responding to questions in the forum?
    • What is the roadmap?
    • Why haven’t any updates whatsoever been released?
    • Why aren’t you part of the Slack community?

Although I’m not developing any new projects on Perch (for obvious reasons), I’m now at the point – unless something significant happens very soon – that I’ll be actively contacting my Perch clients to advise that it’s time to move platforms as soon as possible. That is a lot of sites. I can only presume this will be the case for a lot of other devs too.

The core principles and potential of Perch remains, but without the trust of your users, that means absolutely nothing. Even if Perch 4 is miraculously released today, there is so much additional damage control needed to start rebuilding any level of trust.

What a joke.

• compositor Perch is not compatible with PHP 8.

That may be true for shop (which I don't use) but I just installed Perch with the latest version of UniServerZ, which uses PHP 8 by default (native authentication must be used).

I haven't tried any other authentication methods, so stand by my comments, that for basic use, Perch works just fine, which is the reason why Drew went out of his way to make it compatible before "shutting up shop .

• Hmmm... I guess that would explain the "anonymous" new owners. Who is "George C" and where did he go? His posts sounded positive, but then he vanished. Was it all a lie? It doesn't make any sense.

I hope it's not what happens to some legitimate mobile apps, when the original developer sells the app to a sleazy marketing company who fills the app with trackers and ads, or worse. But that usually happens on the low-down, not out in the open.

The *end game* needs to make sense though. Shutting down Perch doesn't sound like a sensible end game. Who benefits from that?

This is why I'm still hopeful we'll get good news eventually! An update will sell a bunch of new licenses and retain existing customers. Maybe the new owners are out of their depth in terms of development. Uncertain times in so many ways!

• Is there any way ‘we’ can pick up the code and create a new open source version 5 for ourselves? a PerchBranch ?

Or without the source code this would be difficult?

Just asking away here. Must have a contingency plan. Accept for transitioning over to another cms off course.

• I don't buy the asset stripping narrative. If Perch wasn't selling enough licences to support a lone developer there's no way a company would acquire it to hoover up existing license sales. Seems like a dealing with legacy code/handover/lack of preparation/communication style set of issues.

But the lack of response creates a vacuum so it's understandable that many fear the worst.

It really wouldn't take that much to reassure us. I feel like we have to keep taking Perch's pulse to check it's still alive. Some more communication doesn't seem like a lot to ask for. And Perch really has to reach out to the community members who are supporting their product.

• I don't think it's as farfetched as you might think – if they managed to get it for a low-price (which lets face it, Perch wouldn't be worth much in its current state) then they may of been hoping to make their money back plus a bit on top through residual sales. Pretty easy money if you don't invest any time back into it, which quite clearly they haven't.

• I don't think it's as farfetched as you might think – if they managed to get it for a low-price (which lets face it, Perch wouldn't be worth much in its current state) then they may of been hoping to make their money back plus a bit on top through residual sales. Pretty easy money if you don't invest any time back into it, which quite clearly they haven't.

Anything's possible, but it doesn't really make sense for a company to invest money into something that would make a few hundred pounds a week for a few months. They do seem to have long term goals, but their lack of communication is very problematic.

• Hi there

Thank you for your continued support and patience as we get up and running with Perch.

We have been monitoring the online forum and social channels but
    I'm sure you will understand it has not been possible to address every question. We will continue to post company updates to the forum and our support team will start to engage in the coming weeks.

Perch has had a long and successful history under its previous ownership and I believe Drew and Rachel were committed to ensuring its future and with the sale to ourselves to prevent it suffering from its own success.

I’ve always been honest in saying we have a lot of work to do and appreciate all the feedback we get whether good or not so good. We are working hard behind the scenes to deliver v4 and in the meantime release certain version updates that were promised previously. In this regard I am confident we are making good progress towards an interim release of v3.2 as a demonstration of goodwill to the community.

You have my reassurance Perch is a safe, active and viable product for your projects.

Kind regards and thank you again.

George

• Thank you George. This is really all I need, just a bit of reassurance is all. I understand that there must be a lot of work to do but an update every now and then will give the community a bit more confidence in the product I feel.

One thing I would suggest, which is perhaps more of a long-term task, is to produce a set of video guides for each addon, especially Perch Shop. The documentation is pretty good and I've been able to follow along and get set up with my first project using Perch Shop, but a video guide similar to the set of videos for the Blog would have been super useful.

Thanks again for the update and I look forward to v3.2 and Perch 4 :)

• Thank you for the "update", however just a couple of comments.

1. It would be really nice to know who now owns Perch, the people involved the size of the support and development team mentioned, you ask us to have faith and patience yet we sit here day after day, week after week with nothing of any substance, even the latest post is just vague mentions of things possibly to come. Ultimately people deal with people and service is often the only thing a business has to pull it above its competitors.

2. What is the situation with the development cycle? Did Drew and Rachel leave it in such a mess that it's taken months to even issue a small update let alone a new version (which were led to believe Drew had already been working on for a while). Somehow knowing the previous team I doubt that was anything like the case, a more likely explanation is Perch is owned by a sole developer/very small team working on myriad other things. Nothing wrong in that just again transparency would be appreciated, as people here are also business owners and need to make decisions. We are not mushrooms, we do not prosper in the dark.

Every time one of us recommends Perch our reputation is on the line, we are personally accountable to our clients is it wrong to expect the same from you?

I am sitting on 16 unused and a good few active Perch (v3) licenses, that for a small developer is a substantial investment going to waste and an investment I can at this point not really in all good faith deplete by recommending Perch going forward to clients. I presume I am not alone in this situation and frankly I believe I may just have to write this money off and transition current sites into another CMS which I can have some faith in.

If it wasn't for the hard work and dedication for a small number of forum contributors here I don't think Perch would even be in the (admittedly perilous) state it is now. I think you owe it to at least these people to give them more than vague platitudes and pronouncements of things which may or may not come.

Really what does it take for one of your “support team” to dip into the forum once or twice a week with concrete help/support or even to just approve posts held for moderation?

If you had not already worked it out I am very dissatisfied, not to say disappointed as I have been with Perch since V1.